Saturday, December 13, 2008

My First Triathlon!

I know....most of my posts are pictures of Alex. The last 2 have been about me. I just have to share about my newest adventure....the triathlon.

First of all, there are many distances of triathlon. I did a very SHORT triathlon, in the big scheme of things. The most famous, the IRONMAN distance triathlons include a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, followed by a full marathon (26.2 mile) run. There are also much shorter triathlons, like the one I did. It was an indoor triathlon at a local YMCA.

Distances: 500 yards in the pool (1o laps), 6 miles on a stationary bicycle and 2 miles around the indoor track.

Most triathlons are outside. They include open water swims in lakes or oceans, bike rides on highways, and running outside. This was much less intimidating and very good for my first experience. I didn't have to deal with weather variables or getting kicked in the head by a fellow swimmer (one of my big fears of open-water swimming). I got my own half-lane in the pool. While I rode the bike I could chat with my friends that were there cheering me on! The run was good and bad. 28 laps around a small inoor track feels like forever. However, I got to hear the lap-counters and spectators cheer me on 28 times during the run. That was nice.

Overall, I had a great experience. I felt like I worked hard, but accomplished a lot. I finished 45 of 104 overall. I also got 3rd place in my age group! Getting a medal for my first triathlon was more than I ever hoped for. When I started training, my goal was to not come in last. ha ha. I am now hooked on the sport and hope to work on both my running and do an outdoor triathlon in 2009.




No comments: